Saturday, May 19, 2012

I Want to Run

Everyone knows by now how obsessed I am with my dog.  She's perfect in every way.  Except of course for a few things.  Like how she destroys the house if we leave her alone.  And how she is SO incredibly lazy.  I've started calling her Lazy Lyna more frequently.  This laziness is the root of one of my current problems.

I picked her thinking that the beagle stamina would make for a good running partner.  Boy was I ever wrong.  We go for a half mile walk and she lays down part-way through to take a nap in the grass, and then I am forced to carry her the rest of the way home.  And it's not like I can just leave her at home like a normal dog to go running for a little while.

I've been working on this desensitization/counter-conditioning training for about 6 weeks now.  They say that most dogs are "cured" in about 6-8 weeks if you really stick with it.  I have really stuck with it, and so far we are only up to 15 minutes (barely).  That is enough to go for a jog around the building, I suppose, but not enough to do the distance running that I enjoy.

To make matters worse, a couple days ago while trying to do tote my laundry to and from the laundry room with a dog on the leash, Lyna managed to try chasing a cat with me and the laundry attached resulting in twisting my knee.  It's not bad, but it feels like it is back to how it felt while I was training for the marathon.  Stairs especially hurt all over again.

That was a bunch of complaining.  On a happier note, I cleaned the house this evening!  I even did a load of dishes.  Pretty impressive, right?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment