Thursday, May 24, 2012

I'm sorry, that leaf doesn't belong there

I have spent a large amount of time watching the large staff of groundskeepers and landscapers here at our apartment complex.  There are lots of trees, plants, bushes, and grass here.  Very beautiful, perfectly manicured.

I can understand mowing the lawn and trimming the hedges on occasion, but what really gets me are the leaf blowers.  I thought leaf blowers were for October when all the leaves fall off the trees.  When I got here in October, there were a select few trees that did lose their leaves, so it made a little sense to me that they were using them.  But it is May, and they are still using them.

There are people whose job is to move all the leaves around all day.  They blow them off the sidewalks.  They blow them off the tops of bushes.  They blow them out from under bushes.  They blow them out of the parking lots.  They blow them around the pools.  They blow them off the grass.  Some of it just doesn't make sense.

What is so wrong about having a leaf under a bush or sitting in the grass?  I bet my rent would be at least $50 cheaper if we just let nature do its thing.  You know...decomposition and stuff.  Some things like moving your leaves around just doesn't seem to be of any importance to me.

The other thing that bugs me a lot is, they wait until the grass gets too high before they mow it.  It's not like they are waiting for a day when it isn't raining to mow it, either.  Then, when they finally get around to mowing it, they mow it first thing in the morning after the sprinklers have been running all night long instead of waiting until the afternoon or evening when the grass is dry to mow.  So all they did was cut some grass, while laying most of it down and not cutting it.

On another note, the lawn mowers look really fun here.  They are the kind that you ride behind, but you stand on this little platform that swings around when it turns.  They go a little faster on them than I would thing.

I think this is just a reminder to take a look at some of the things I do, and see what I am wasting my time on.

No comments:

Post a Comment