Sunday, September 14, 2014

13.1 Miles! How It Went

I can't believe it's already been 2 weeks since I ran my half marathon!  By the sheer power of God, I finished the 13.1 miles in 2 hours, 7 minutes, and 35.6 seconds.  I finished 45th out of 71 people, which is pretty standard for me to be somewhere in the middle of the pack.  My average pace ended up being 9:44 miles, which was quite shocking to me (goal was 11 minute miles), especially for what I will tell you about how it went.

As I think I had mentioned in my previous post, my foot had been bothering me for the 3-4 weeks leading up to race day.  After my last long run before the race, my left foot was really hurting.  The last week of training was a taper week anyway, so I cut back quite a bit and didn't run at all for the 4 days before the race, though I did bike a little bit.  I had a feeling that I was trying to ignore that a few miles into my run it would start hurting again, but I was praying that wouldn't happen.  Unfortunately it did anyway.  So the whole time I was running, I was thinking that it was going horribly and I was going to end up finishing last.  The rest of me felt great though!  Encouraging the people who I pass has always been a way to help me through any race, so this time I was all about cheering on the person next to me, in front of me, or behind me.  It helps take the focus off of self and is probably some of the best running or racing advice that I can give you.  Just be aware that the person you are encouraging might not be able to get enough air to encourage you back or say thank you.  I also thought about and prayed for all of you--my supporters in prayer, words, and donations to the American Heart Association.  I thought about my dad and how extremely grateful I am to have him in my life still and how easily I could have lost him to heart disease.  I had a lot of time to think, pray, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.  It was along the Rock River in Rockford, Illinois.  The weather was slightly warm with bits of rain here and there, but I could not have asked for better weather in the hottest month of the year.  Aside from my foot, it was a really great run and I did manage to keep a consistent pace throughout the whole race.

After the race, I consumed large quantities of liquids and free food.  Then I went for an x-ray the next day.  (It would have been the same day, but they made a big hullabaloo about making sure I wasn't pregnant before x-raying me.  I'm not so, x-ray!)  We're pretty certain that I have a stress fracture in my foot near the 4th metatarsal (ring toe long foot bone).  Stress fractures are no different from a fracture other than the fact that there isn't one specific injury that causes them, but they are caused by repetitive force such as long distance running.  The x-ray didn't show anything, but stress fractures aren't normally found on x-rays.  They said to go back in a few days and they could do an MRI (which do normally show stress fractures), but of course, I never went back because that's just me, haha.  I haven't been running which is really sad, but I have been hitting the weights a few times a week so I'll be ripped by Christmas time, I'm positive. ;)  My foot is feeling pretty good now.  It doesn't hurt to walk on it anymore so the time off has done it well.  I walked around in heels for a wedding yesterday and then drove home (manual=clutch with left foot) so it was a little sore when I woke up today.  I figure if it's bothering me in the future when I go running again, then I'll go back to the doctor, but since I'm not in pain walking around, I'm not going to bother.

As far as donations go, with your generous support, we have raised $600 for the American Heart Association!  This is just amazing!  Now here is the catch.  The donations can keep coming in up until October 25 when I do the Heart Walk with my family.  My whole family is also working to raise money, and my sister has been having some prize pack drawings for those who make a donation so you'll have to keep an eye out on my Facebook page & I'll post if she has a drawing going on.  (She's SO creative!  Sorry I wasn't that good.)  Here is the link if you haven't had a chance to donate, you still can!

No comments:

Post a Comment