Thursday, February 27, 2014

DIY Neti Pot Solution in Bulk


A few years ago, my mom got me a Neti pot for Christmas.  It's not your typical Christmas gift, but when you have chronic sinus infections and horrible allergies like I do, it is truly the best Christmas gift you could ever receive.  For those of you unfamiliar with the Neti pot, it is basically a genie lamp shaped plastic pitcher that holds about a cup of water.  You hold the spout up to one nostril, tilt your head forward and to the side while a saline solution pours through one nostril and out the other.  If you really want to be skeeved out, plug your sink while it pours through.  You'd be amazed at how much yuck a Neti pot can clear from your nose with just a cup of water!  It's not love at first sight, but I guarantee you will fall in love with it over time.

My husband and I have both come down with a cold.  Since I am currently breastfeeding, I am limited in the medications I can take.  While my husband is downing Mucinex super-strength nose-evacuator medicine every so many hours, I am drinking orange juice and using my Neti pot.  At
some point, you will run out of these premade packets used to make the solution that you can purchase in a box at the store.  Then (if you aren't me) you have to go back to the store and search for the little things that are always kept in the most un-obvious of locations.  If you are me, you will have read the ingredients at some point and realize what the stuff is actually made of:  sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate.  For those of you who were not a science major or just not good at science, that is salt and baking soda.  Everyone has salt and baking soda!  So I got on google and looked for the proper ratio of salt:baking soda.  Of course, I could only find the proper ratio for one cup, but I need like a thousand cups for one cold.  So I did the math for you, and the recipe follows.

DIY Neti Pot Nasal Saline Solution in Bulk:
  • 6 TBSP + 2 tsp non-iodized salt (i.e. Kosher salt, ground sea salt, cooking salt, etc)
  • 3 TBSP + 1 tsp baking soda
       Directions: Mix ingredients in clean container.  Measure 1/2 tsp of mixture and pour into Neti pot.  Add 1 cup of warm water.  (Bottled, distilled, or filtered water is recommended.)  Then use it as you would your regular Neti pot.  If your nose burns while using this solution add a little more baking soda as needed.  If you are having trouble figuring out how to use your Neti pot, you can watch this video.

I store mine in a little plastic container in my bathroom with my Neti pot.  I also keep a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon in with it so I don't have to constantly go to the kitchen looking for a measuring spoon.  This is enough for approximately 60 flushes.  Enough to last you a month if you rinse your nose twice a day.  Perfect.  I hope you are on your way to breathing easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment