Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Thanksgiving & other subjects

This past week has been one for the record books.  The plan was to spend Wed-Sun at my parents house.  Tues night we had Pie & Praise at our church.  Though, the order was reversed so we sang before eating pie.  Every time they would stop the music to have a time for people to share testimonies, CJ would just keep saying, "Pie. Pie. Pie!"  We all felt the same.  But then the evening ended by CJ getting sick.  So pie was kind of ruined as were our plans to arrive on Wed.  We ended up getting to my parent's on Friday instead.  I managed to find enough stuff to make corn casserole, mashed potatoes & (packaged) gravy, a can of cranberry sauce, and leftover pork chops for our Thanksgiving meal.  It was actually our first Thanksgiving without anyone else which was sad but enjoyable at the same time.  The extroverted portion of me really wanted to be with my family though.  Then I remembered that my bff Megan was in town visitng her in-laws!  Initially we were supposed to be gone while she was here, so we hadn't planned on meeting.  So I texted her to see if she wanted to meet up.  We decided on shopping after putting the kids to bed since that seems to be the thing to do on Thanksgiving night.  Hubby stayed home to hold down the fort.

We had a pretty good visit with my parents.  I did a 3 mile run with my old sister Saturday morning, and her family came over that afternoon.  CJ was being so sweet and giving everyone lots and lots of hugs like a true Neuby would.  But then something happened and the rest of the night was a big meltdown and he only wanted, "Daddddyyy, daddddy, daddddy!!!!"  He gets that way a lot when Hubby is home, especially on weekends or extended periods where he is around.  It's not Hubby's fault, just an attachment issue with CJ.  Christmas vacation should be really "interesting" if it's still a problem then.

This morning we met with a couple therapists--one who was more general and another who was a speech therapist--as well as a coordinator, to see if I am just an over-worried mom or if CJ really is delayed in his speech.  I know I've mentioned a few times before how I have been concerned that he seems to be falling behind more and more with his speech.  He has a lot to say, but no one really understands what he's saying.  They came to our house and played with him for about 45 min-1 hour I think and saw how he moved and used words and actions to communicate.  He actually did really well for them, I thought.  He even said, "Boo," for "balloon" which he has never done before--they've always been "Elmo" because he had an Elmo balloon one time.  One of the first things the speech therapist noted was that he drools a lot.  Apparently that's not normal at this age. haha.  But they did say he was very intelligent and tested at 30-31 months for a lot of the fine & gross motor skills, however, he tested at 18 months for his expressive communication & sounding out words.  He was almost on track for receptive (what he understands) communication.  So he does qualify for services (aka I'm not crazy), and he will be starting speech therapy once a week for about an hour.  All the details are to be determined, but I am glad he will be able to get help to get caught up.  I noticed a big difference between his speech and his cousin's speech who is only 2 months older than him this past weekend.  I'm not happy that he is "delayed," but I love my boy so much I'd do anything to help him out.  He's still a fun, happy kid.

Next Sunday CJ will be starting his very first Sunday school class!  I am so nervous for him & his teachers.  I mean, having a class full of 2 year olds is just insane to me.  Little people's ministry is just not a gift I have been blessed with--which is ok.  I'd much prefer the kids who can go to the bathroom on their own at least or the teens.  I also just don't picture my 2 year old sitting down in a group to hear a story read, but I guess it's good practice.  Just so they don't blame me if he doesn't cooperate! haha.  They probably know what they're doing more than I do.  Someone asked Hubby if that meant he was going to be singing in the Children's Christmas program with the other 2 year olds--HA!

I think everything else around here has been pretty hum-drum.  I'm reading The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom which is my favorite book.  I want so badly to just sit and read it, but with 2 little ones that's just not possible.  I've also been sick the past few days so I'm trying to rest instead of staying up all night to finish it. 

It's almost Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment