Monday, June 09, 2014

Week 1: 13.1 Training

This week actually went pretty well despite it being an "off" week for Peter's work schedule meaning everything that had been put off had to get done.  I managed to stick to the schedule.  We had a million errands to run--eye appointment, doctor appointment, car appointment, dog appointment, A/C appointment, etc.  The only thing that didn't get done was Lyna didn't get to the vet.  But that's what Monday is for--and they said she's fine not to worry so I don't feel so bad about not making her a priority.

Lyna was my running buddy every time!  She slows me down, but I like having her there.  Monday was a rest day so I gladly took that off.  Tuesday through Thursday were 3 mile days.  I forgot to time us, but I think we averaged about a 10 minute pace.  Thursday was really exciting because I motivated Peter to go running with us so the whole family (baby included) went for a run!  I made sure our route went past some sailboats for my husband since he really enjoys sailing.

Saturday was a 4 mile day (the long run day of the week), and I had the whole course mapped out.  It was a simple out & back course on a bike trail.  I knew just after we crossed rail road tracks, I was supposed to go around a curve and turn back.  The only problem was, the curve that I saw first didn't seem big enough to be considered a curve so I kept going to the next curve.  That was my mistake because the little curve was the correct curve meaning I went an extra 1/2 mile out of my way.  At that point, Lyna was dragging me down, so I stuck her in the jogging stroller with CJ where she gladly accepted the lift for the next mile and a quarter sitting with a smile on her face panting and drooling on the baby's feet while he napped.  Then she decided she wanted to snuggle, and tried sitting on CJ's lap.  Of course, a 25 pound dog on a 20 pound baby wasn't really going to work out (even though he was still asleep) so I made her run the rest of the way.  It also had my biceps burning like crazy!  If I keep pushing those two around every time I run, the half marathon will seem like a piece of cake without them.  I have contemplated pushing CJ for part of the half though because strollers are allowed, and it would be a good nap for him.  I guess we'll see how I feel about that later.

I haven't really nailed down a goal time for the half marathon yet.  I ran my marathon in 4 hours 25 minutes.  I'd like to do better than that since it's half the distance for sure, but I also have to be realistic.  I had a lot less commitments in my life then and my schedule was pretty much set for every day of the week so finding time to run was a lot easier.  According to the Race Times Predictor on RunnersWorld.com, I should expect to run a 2 hour 7 minute half marathon.  So maybe I should set my goal at 2 hours?  I'm not sure.  I think I'd need to go for a run outside without the dog & baby to see what pace I'm really able to run.



We had an exciting first week of fundraising efforts!  I am happy to say we raised $175 already!  I did go ahead and change my goal to $1,000 because $500 just seemed like I was setting a goal just to be able to reach it.  I want to have to work and worry about it.  I do want you to know that when I registered, I said I did not want to accept the prizes for reaching certain goals.  The AHA does give out prizes if you reach a certain "level" of money, but I do not want to do this for my own personal gain and I'd rather your donations be put to good use saving lives.  If you would like to make a donation, please visit my page here.  Here is a little snippet  about what the money donated is used for: 
  • You put up-to-the-minute research into doctors’ hands so they can better prevent and treat heart disease.
  • You support groundbreaking pediatric heart and stroke research to help more than 35,000 babies born with heart disease each year.
  • You help get lifesaving information to those who need it most, from how to recognize the signs of heart attack to making healthy eating choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment