Monday, June 02, 2014

Half Marathon Training Officially Begins Today!

Today is the first day of my half marathon training.  With my marathon training, I followed Hal Higdon's Novice marathon training plan and it worked out very well for me so I plan on following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Half Marathon Training Program.  I finished 5 minutes before my goal time and felt very good throughout most of the marathon.  I thought that training was going to be difficult at that time in my life because I was a college student, working 2 jobs, along with my leadership position in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.  I also thought that I was always "tired" then because of my life.  Boy was I dumb!  I wasn't tired at all!  Being a mother is what really makes a person tired.  Luckily, he isn't a toddler yet which will be exhausting, I'm sure.

I realize that now getting out for a run means planning around my child's schedule, my husband's schedule, and everything else that always comes up.  So I'm already not going to fuss about making sure that Mondays I rest and Tuesdays-Thursdays I run, etc.  If I have to run on Monday and rest on Tuesday, that's just how it will have to be.  The important thing is making sure I get in the mileage--especially the long runs over the weekends.

As far as cross training goes, I'm loving getting workouts by hooping!  I started [hula] hooping at the beginning of the year when I made about 10 hula hoops and sold a couple.  (If you want a hoop, let me know!  $25!)  It burns about 500 calories per hour depending on what tricks and all you're doing.  I'm not very good, but that's what YouTube is for.  I also have a bike with a double bike trailer that converts into a jogging stroller as well.  And for early mornings before Peter goes to work, I have the option of going to the Y and working out in air conditioning on whatever I want including swimming.

I'm very excited to get started running & raising money!  Some people might consider waiting until closer to the date of the half marathon to donate, but having the early donations roll in really hold me accountable.  If I have people who put their money into believing I am going to run 13.1 miles, then I have even more motivation to get out there & run!  Thank you in advance for all of the love, support, prayers, and donations!

No comments:

Post a Comment