Saturday, January 25, 2014

Neubys go Natural!

It started with the washer & dryer. I was so excited to finally have our very own washer & dryer that I wasn't required to literally feed money before it would operate.  I thought of the great idea to make cloth wipes instead of using the disposables.  We spend at least $9 a month on wipes that we just smear poop on and throw away.  So I cut up some receiving blankets and stitched the edges, stuffed them in an empty wipes container, and added this:

Wipes Solution:
2 1/4 C warm water
2-3 TBSP Baby soap
1/2 TBSP Baby Oil
1 TBSP Aloe Vera (optional)
Tea Tree Oil (optional)

For $5 I bought all the ingredients to last a VERY VERY long time.  But in all reality, I already had all the ingredients except the baby oil already, so I only spent $1.50.  And I can do the job of 5 disposable wipes with one cloth wipe!

Then that just snowballed into the thought of, "What else am I just throwing away that I could DIY for cheaper? What else am I throwing away that I could do differently to save money?"  So I ordered cloth diapers!  After all I have the washer & dryer & the sun!  Then I bought (though I could have easily made) cloth nursing pads.  For $8, I got 3 pairs--one to wear, one to handwash & dry, one for back-up.  I had been spending $14-16/month on those--and just throwing them away at the end of the day.  Early on I would have needed more than 3 pairs though.  Then I found recipes for other things to DIY but haven't tried yet (I've heard rave reviews though):

Cloth Diaper Laundry Detergent (use 1 TBSP per diaper load):
1/2 C Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2 C Baking Soda
1/2 C Oxygen cleaner (ie baby oxiclean or other oxygen cleaner that only has Sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate &/or peroxide)
1/2 C to 1 C Epsom salt (Optional)

Regular Laundry Detergent:
-1 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap shaved
Add to 2 quarts of water.  While stirring, heat until dissolved.
Pour into 5 gallon bucket.  Add & stir:
-1 C Borax
-1 C Washing Soda
-Hot water to the top
Let set overnight.  Stir until smooth & pour into containers.
Use 1/2 C to 1 Cup per load.

I guess while I'm at it, I can add the other things I DIY already:

Carpet Powder:
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Borax (fights fleas)
1 tsp Ground cloves
Sprinkle on carpet.  Wait 20 minutes.  Vacuum up.  Freshens, deodorizes, and protects against fleas!  What every pet owner needs.

Bathroom cleaner:
Hot vinegar
Dish soap (Dawn)

Linoleum cleaner:
1 TBSP liquid soap (ie. Dawn)
1/4 C Baking Soda
2 Gallons hot water
1/4 C Vinegar

Frugalbreeze:
1/4 C liquid fabric softener (I use the cheap Suavitel brand)
2 TBSP Baking soda
Add to spray bottle
Fill to top with warm water.  Shake it up a little & spray all over stinky fabrics/carpets/drapes/etc.
Now I am looking into diaper creams, lotions, shampoo, soaps, dog food, paper towels, napkins, etc, but I'll also have to see if the cost actually is worth it or not.  If you're lucky, I'll remember to post about my findings!  I also refuse to use "hankies" instead of tissues, sorry Mother Nature.

Body wash, Hand soap, Liquid Soap:
4 oz Bar soap
2 Quarts Water
For each 4 oz. bar of soap use 2 quarts water. Melt soap in boiling water until melted and then let set for 8 to 24 hours. Mix with a hand mixer to blend and pour into containers.  See link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment