Friday, June 08, 2012

Tortoise Neubert

We added a new member to our family yesterday!  It is a Russian tortoise named Herschel!  It is an early birthday present from Peter.  The best part is that nothing is wrong with him (that I know of)!  My mom enjoys making fun of my animals (three legged hamster, separation anxiety dog, former hamster that spun in circles for all but the first two months of its life).  This one is normal, active and has all body parts.


He seems to enjoy the greens that I got for him to eat.


He's got a pretty nice little set-up if I do say so myself.  Aquariums often confuse tortoises, so I just up-cycled Lyna's former dog kennels and put the bottom half of the plastic one inside the metal one.  Keeps the dirt in and the dog out!  However, Lyna is TERRIFIED of the tortoise.  I was worried she'd want to eat it, but she honestly starts shaking if she notices it moving.  She'll get over it.

In other animal-related news, Lyna has graduated from her Intermediate training class which focused on the 3 D's--Distance, Duration, and Distraction.  Next she will complete the Advanced class and become a Canine Good Citizen certified dog.  I've quite enjoyed going to the training classes with Lyna.  It's something I enjoy, and I get to meet other people with similar interests.  Lyna is currently snuggled up next to me sleeping with her head on my shoulder, such a sweetheart.


I also recently got back from a trip to Illinois to visit my family!  I went all by my big girl self, too!  Peter drove me to the airport.   Then I took a plane to Houston, plane to Chicago, the "L" to downtown Chicago, navigated the streets to Union Station where I took a train to Bloomington, and then my mom drove me home!  Then I did it all in reverse except my old (ha!) sister Amy drove me to Bloomington and not my mom.

I really enjoyed getting to hang out with all of my sisters together again.  In a perfect world we could all live in the same area, but even if I moved back to Illinois, Ashley would still be in Michigan and vice versa.  Not to mention that I'd have to go back to awful allergies again.  I got to meet my newest niece, Addison.  She was so much fun for me!  Her sister Chloe has become quite the active little girl!!  She was also fun, but she did wear me out.  I don't know how Ashley does it!  Praise to her!  

I also got to catch up with Megan, Rachel, and Laura--my other three bridesmaids.  I've decided that my bridesmaids are super important in my life.  They're all from different parts of my life.  Amy is my oldest sister, so we weren't close until later.  Ashley was stuck with me since I was born, and had to deal with me when the principal would come to her saying, "Your sister is crying again."  Rachel and I have been best friends since kindergarten.  Megan and I were friends first in our freshman year in college and then roomies.  Laura was a friend first via Peter connection, and now she is a sister in-law.  Our relationships all have different connections, which is what makes the story so great.  I'm so glad I picked them to share my special day with.  I will always look back and know that they are very important in my life.

And that's about all the updating I have for now.  I can't believe it is already June!  Wasn't it just New Year's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment